Thursday, January 12, 2012

Giving the bike some love.

The other day while out riding to do the last bunch of photos, I noticed a few things on my bike that needed addressing. After you ride the same bike for so long you can feel when something is not quite right, like a faint vibration through the pedals or perhaps a bit of stiffness somewhere. Some people think I'm either psychic or just mental when I pick these things, but it just comes with a lot of riding and building a lot of bikes.

So, I decided to do a strip and rebuild to find these little issues. Sure enough, I had a headset bearing that was getting a little rough, a pair of crank bearings that will need replacing soon, and a stiff link in the chain. I also serviced my hubs, painted them and laced them to a different set of rims. I re-painted the frame in satin black as well. So here it is:



After almost 3 years of solid abuse, this frame is still going very strong. When I designed it, I intended for it to last 18 months to 2 years, and chose to have it built from Supertherm tubing. FBM did a great job of turning the dream into a reality. I am now expecting this frame to exceed the 5 year mark, which is almost unheard of within the BMX industry. Cheers to the only bicycle so far that can handle being put through hell and back!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't expect Hell to be Bike-ride-able, but you've apparently done it! Congrats on making it back to the land of the living!

    ReplyDelete