Sunday, June 3, 2012

Riding Photos #5: Thornlands fisheye set

Been meaning to upload these for a while, but work and my Cert III course has really been eating up all of my time lately, and, when I actually do get free time it's usually spent catching up on some riding time. I recently learned frontflips as well so usually there's a lot of resting time after I go out riding now (you gotta crash a lot to learn them, and crashing hard takes it out of you even if you walk away uninjured).

So, here's the rest of the batch from the 2 days of riding Nick Barnier and I did at Thornlands skatepark.


Nice tailwhip
Such a great day for a ride
Black Weapons


These last two shots were our focus for the day. Nick wanted a few shots of riding this hip, and some of an invert over it (one on the right). I framed it with the the edge of the tree at the top and the hip itself at the bottom, and had to use a bit of magic in post processing to cut the brightness of the sun.

This hip is one of my favourite spots to ride and appears in many riding photos in Australia. There's plenty of shots of young Alex Hiam blasting ridiculous stunts over it, among others. The reason being, this skatepark is fairly photogenic to riders, and the hip is a really nice shape to get a lot of height but it doesn't kick you hard enough to disrupt your balance. I typically have troubles trying to bring it up short when transferring in to the short side, there's not much room to land in but it's way too easy to boost too high.

Anyway, all of these shots were with a Canon 1000D with the 18-55mm f3.5-5.3 lens with a $30 eBay fisheye filter. That lens setup is worth no more than $130, and the distortion is pretty terrible but it's fun to experiment with, and I'm not a professional looking for super brilliant photos. I'm just a dude with a camera that likes to play around with angles and settings for fun. Maybe one day I will invest a lot of money in to my camera gear, but not while I'm still enjoying this setup.




No comments:

Post a Comment